In recent years, medical doctors are increasingly limiting their practice to certain procedures and conditions. One big reason for this is that it decreases their ability for malpractice (lawsuits) while increasing their expertise/experience. So, their expertise is recognized in both the local community and nationwide, recommended site?
Board Certification for Cosmetic Surgery
Understand that not every plastic surgeon is an expert or knows everything about plastic surgery. It is therefore important to find plastic surgeons, who are most recognized for certain procedures and have solid backgrounds in their career.
While plastic surgery certifications are most commonly obtained, some doctors specialize exclusively in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery. Such surgical procedures include eyelid surgery, rhinoplasty, facial reconstructive surgery, oculoplasty/ophthalmic, and other facial cosmetic surgical procedures to name a few.
To add to that, otolaryngologists do not have a specialization in facial plastic surgery. In fact, very few have this expertise. Three of the most common fields for plastic surgery are otolaryngology, surgery on the hand and plastic surgery. There are plastic surgeons who have double, triple and quadruple certification.
What to do when hiring a cosmetic surgeon
1. Don’t use the phonebook when looking for a surgeon.
2. You should be cautious when you approach websites offering free ratings, or claiming to provide comprehensive doctor credentials information. It is normal to expect that every doctor will have negative reviews.
3. Avoid plastic surgeons that advertise heavily. The best plastic surgeons have many clients already and do not require advertising to attract more.
4. Take care to ensure that your surgeon has board certification in his or her field.
5. You should find out which areas are of special expertise for each plastic surgeon. Make sure that they match what you’re looking for.
6. It is generally accepted that the longer their career history, the more experienced they are.